Thursday, November 22, 2012

I Am Thankful

To be honest, I didn't really feel like celebrating Thanksgiving this year. The idea of gathering with family and seeing that empty place at the dinner table where Gabriel should have been, would just be another sad reminder that so much is missing from our lives. The thought of adding turkey, stuffing and pumpkin pie to the long list of things that Gabriel is missing out on, was just much to bear. I considered just removing this day altogether from my calendar, just skipping over it by staying in bed all day...

But then I realized something. Thanksgiving isn't about the food and the dinner table. It's not about focusing on what is missing from our lives. It's about giving thanks, and not out of obligation for the holiday, but because we have so much to be thankful for. It's about allowing are appreciation to mold us into better people and to show us the path towards happiness. It's about recognizing that the loss of a loved one does not negate the love that always remains in our hearts.

So today, I celebrate all that I am thankful for. Every day of my life has been an opportunity to experience joy, beauty and love, and for that I am thankful. For the gift of a wonderful family, I am thankful. For those who have touched my heart, I am thankful. For the many blessings that I have been eternally granted and for the precious treasures that were lent only for a moment, I am thankful.

And for my beautiful Gabriel, I am so truly thankful. 



1 comment:

  1. Beautifully written! Thinking of you & your sweet Gabriel!!!

    ReplyDelete