Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Walking With You - Intro and Where We Are Now

[I've decided to participate in Sufficient Grace's Walking With You series for mothers and families who have lost a child. I hope that this writing project helps me to express in words what it feels like to grieve the loss of a baby, a subject that has been difficult for me to write about. I find it unbelievably challenging to adequately describe the feelings that encompass losing a child. I can never seem to find the right words. It makes me realize how unnatural babyloss is -- our language doesn't even include sufficient vocabulary to describe it.]

Week 1: Introduction and Where We Are Now

Hello Everyone! I'm Catherine and my son's name is Gabriel. I live in Los Angeles with my husband. DH and I were married in February 2011 and for several months we were happy newlyweds, enjoying life as a two-some. Later that year we started discussing the possibility of expanding our family and in January 2012, we learned I was pregnant with our first baby.

DH and I were thrilled and we spent the next few months reaching levels of excitement and eagerness that only first-time-parents-to-be get to experience. Everything was going great... why wouldn't it be? We were young, healthy, average people.

What could ever go wrong?

So we thought. 

In May, a series of ultrasounds revealed that our baby would not survive after birth. I was 19 weeks pregnant and we had only two options and one very difficult choice. We could continue the pregnancy knowing that our baby would die before or shortly after birth, or we could end the pregnancy that week. Every waking moment of every day I prayed for secret option #3.

Despite our prayers, hopes, dreams and deepest wishes, on July 19th, 2012, we welcomed our precious son to the world just a few hours after his Father embraced him in Heaven. If interested, you can read more about Gabriel here.

It's now been 5 months, 2 weeks and 6 days since that beautiful and tragic day.

I've been grieving for many months now, but to be honest, I'm not exactly sure where I am in my grief journey. I often feel like I've been walking on this journey for ages; grief has become inexplicably familiar. And yet some days it feels so foreign and fresh, like I just realized all of a sudden, that this is all real.

In the beginning, I cried all the time, until my eyes were swollen and my heart literally felt broken. But now, I go days without crying and only occasionally find myself with my head in my hands, sobbing inconsolably. I know it sounds strange, but I actually wish I cried more often. I've come to welcome those moments where my grief consumes me because it's when I'm most grief-stricken that I feel closest to Gabriel.

I sometimes worry that healing will cause me to drift further and further away from him. I'm still trying to figure out how to move forward without continually feeling guilty that I'm abandoning my son in the past. I don't want to forget anything about him and I feel like relinquishing the pain means having to let go of a piece of him. I want to remember the tremendous joy and love, but I also want to hold on to the sorrow. I want to ache deeply for my son, but of course, part of me also wants to heal.

These past few weeks, I have been asking the Lord to help me find a balance, to teach me how to delicately tread in between grief and healing. I have immense faith that in time, He will show me the way. That He will hold my hand and not just walk beside me on this journey, but rather, that He will guide me.

I may never fully understand it, but I am learning to accept God's will for what it is... His plan, not mine. I trust that He is in control of my destiny and that I am walking this journey because Light and Eternal Love await me at the end of it.

I pray that with His guidance, my journey of grief will evolve into a bridge that connects my heart and soul not just to my beloved son... but also to my loving Father.

20 comments:

  1. Beautiful post, mixed with an absolute mother's love. I understand all of the feelings you described. I too, feel closer to my son, when I have a "broken" session of weeping. I'm so glad that you shared your heart, and your precious son. The picture of you holding him is beautiful. It's almost as if you can feel the delicate love between the two of you...

    Blessings....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to the journey with us Catherine! I am looking forward to walking with you and getting to know you better <3 And very beautifully written!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kyla... Looking forward to getting to know you better also!

      Delete
  3. just realize things about your post. Thank you for sharing Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a wonderful post Catherine. It feels as if you took the thoughts right out of my own head and it is a good feeling to know that I am now alone. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your sweet words Tasha, Love to you! <3

      Delete
  5. Catherine...your words are beautiful...and so is the amazing picture of you holding your precious Gabriel. I'm so grateful that you joined this walk with us, and grateful to have a face to put with the name. There are many moms who write to us, and I don't always get a chance to read their stories and see pictures to connect with the names. Thank you...for sharing your heart. I pray that there will be some comfort in sharing and in knowing you are not walking alone, dear sister.

    Love and prayers for you...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kelly for hosting WWY... I'm so grateful to have met other mamas who are walking this journey also. I have learned so much from you and others who are further along in their journeys.

      Delete
  6. Catherine, thank you for commenting on my blog, and sharing your moms story with me. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course!... I hope it helped in some small way <3

      Delete
  7. So glad you are joining in on WWY. It's a great series for sharing and support. You don't feel along walking with fellow moms doing it also. I know what you mean about feeling closer in the sorrow. I feel that too. I wish I could have more alone time to just feel the grief but it is often pushed aside these days. I think God can help us find a balance in it all. There will be good days and days He has to carry us to make it through. He is always faithful though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your support means so much Holly... thank you <3

      Delete
  8. SO Beautiful and inspiring! I remembering feeling the exact same thing so many times, that healing would take me father from Jonathan. I think it is part of healing? I specifically remember one day getting this revelation from God... That Jonathan is mine, forever mine and no amount of time or anything can separate him from me. Praying that God leads you and guides you on this journey, that you find comfort love and healing. You are a blessing to many!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is absolutely true... Jonathan is forever yours; our babies are forever ours. I feel like time may be moving us away from the time we had with them here on earth, but it's also moving us closer to the eternity we'll have with them in Heaven.

      Delete
  9. Thank you so much for sharing for WWY. I too can relate to the feelings you share. Even 2+years out, I still embrace those tears & tough days as it reminds me my son WAS real & in my arms at one point. Blessings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jenn... it has helped me so much to know that others share similar feelings <3 <3

      Delete
  10. Oh, Catherine, I can relate to so much of what you've written. I have such difficulty putting into words the emotions running through my heart and soul. One of the blessing I find in this community is hearing and reading other mothers put into words the very things that I am feeling and to know that there are moms out there that understand. We are not alone. I also feel particularly close to Elena when the sorrow runs especially deep. I hope that you find the right balance you are seeking. Thank you for sharing your journey and for being such a blessing to other bereaved families.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your words hit me so deeply. I often feel bad if I am in a good mood, laughing, enjoying life, since my baby did not get that chance. But, then I feel that I am living just as my baby would want me to. Remembering him, and living life to the fullest! Thank you for sharing, and I can't wait to read more as we walk this journey together.

    ReplyDelete