Sometimes I forget that I really am mother. That I had a child here on earth, and that I have a child now in Heaven.
I know I'm a mother. Deep down, I feel like I am.
But there are moments when I see other mamas rocking their crying babies, chasing after their uncontrollable 2 year olds, or trying to manage a herd of kids, when I realize that I don't have a person to console or run after.
My child doesn't cry. He doesn't run. He doesn't need his diaper changed. He doesn't need a bottle in the middle of the night. He doesn't need anything from me anymore.
And isn't the very definition of a mother, a person who provides and cares for a child?
I have a child, but I don't take care of him. I gave birth to a baby, but I didn't take him home with me. I bought a baby blanket, but it's stored in a memory box, instead of wrapped around my baby.
So what does that make me? A mother with a dead baby? A mother with no baby? A crazy woman who tries to mother her baby even though he's not here?
I talk to Gabriel all the time. I pray for him. I write to him. I remember him. I search for him. I talk about him. I touch the angel baby figurine that contains his sacred ashes. I buy things for him. I cry for him. I think about him all the time. I watch the sunset and feel closer to him. I love him.
I know he is in a beautiful place and that he is in the care of God the Father, and that he is happy and that all of his needs have been met.
But I can't help it.
I still want to care for him. I still want to mother him.
I still want him to know that I'm always here for him. That I'll always be his mommy. And that no matter where he is, he'll always be my child.

No comments:
Post a Comment