But now that the first year is over and I'm in a new place in my grief journey, I feel that monthly balloon releases probably won't be as healing and meaningful as they originally were. I mostly associate balloon releases with the weeks that followed Gabriel's death when they gave us an outlet to grieve at a time in our lives when we were lost and hopeless. Since that time, I've worked really hard to grow and progress on this journey and I hope that I can continue moving forward. I also feel like the guilt of harming the environment and potentially hurting or killing wild animals overshadows any healing I would experience. I just don't want to cause any further destruction or suffering on our planet especially after a year of learning to appreciate and finding joy in nature.
Therefore, as we move forward into our second year without Gabriel, I wanted to start a new tradition that would better reflect where I am now. So instead of monthly balloon releases, my husband and I decided that each month on or close to the 19th, we're going to go to the beach and watch the sunset together. I think this tradition will continue to help us heal and will give us a chance to remember Gabriel and honor his life in a peaceful and meaningful way that doesn't entail polluting the earth.
Last night we started this new tradition by celebrating Gabriel's 14 month birthday at the beach. It was a warm summer evening and the sunset could not have been more gorgeous. We lit candles and wrote his name in the sand and watched the birds flying over the sea. It was all so lovely, like the start of something new and wonderful.


Catherine--I love this monthly tradition you have started! What a wonderful way to remember and honor Gabriel! With Janessa for her first year every month on the 9th I would pick someone to do an act of service for whether it was writing a simple note or leaving a treat for them. Then I would put the number of pinwheels she was in months out in my front flower bed. That brought me peace and healing too. I feel bad that when I miscarried Hope that I let my anger and frustration and sadness consume me and I didn't really continue anything for Janessa or Hope after that. You are such a wonderful example to me--thank you for sharing your ideas <3
ReplyDeleteCatherine, I too love this monthly tradition you have started to honor and remember Gabriel. It is so important to keep a tradition going. We are marking our first year this October of remembering our children out loud. I deeply regret not having traditions before then. I am so glad you have done this from the start. I agree with Shauna. You are a wonderful example and inspiration to me also. You have shown me the sacredness of this journey. <3 Gale
ReplyDeleteI love that you do it together. I sometimes wish that Steve and I could relate more on that level <3
ReplyDelete