Thursday, October 3, 2013

The One Year Anniversary of His Due Date

Today is one of those days that I'm not sure how I should be feeling. It's not his birthday. It's not a day that I expect anyone to remember. It's not a day in which anything significant occurred. In actuality, it's just an estimate of when he would have been born had he gestated for exactly 40 weeks.

But still it's one of those days that will always mean something to me. It will always represent what could have been if things had gone the way I wanted them to. More than that, it will always be the anniversary of the day I looked forward to for several months. The day that promised me a child and the beginning of a beautiful new life.

Part of me feels sad because that day never came. Because everything was perfect and then something changed and that day was erased from my life. But part of me feels like I should take joy from what that day represented. Because it had the potential to be the best day of my life.

Irregardless of the meaning of today, whatever that may end up being, for now it is simply a date that I associate with Gabriel. For many weeks I counted down to October 3, 2012 as I anxiously awaited the birth of our baby. I remember when it felt so far away, so unattainable. I remember thinking that time was moving at an unbearably slow pace. How strange that now it feels like an entire lifetime ago.

I suppose that's partially why acknowledging these anniversaries feels necessary. Anniversaries place little bookmarks on the important moments in our lives so that when we flip through the pages of our past, we know exactly where to turn first. They highlight the significant moments, the days we want to remember over and over again. Some days are marked for the events that took place during them. And others, for what never did.

5 comments:

  1. I often wonder how I will feel on the Anniversary of my babies due dates. Hugs to you today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thinking of you and Gabriel this week. I just "celebrated" Elena's second due date anniversary on Tuesday. [sigh] It feels like a lifetime ago to me too. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the same ambivalence to S's due date, although over time it has come to be eclipsed by the annual celebration we mark of his actual life, and by the many little ways in which he makes himself present as we go about our daily lives regardless of the days marked on the calendar. Thinking of you and your sweet Gabriel this week. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tossie's due date crept up on me... much love to you on this new part of the journey.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 10, 20, 30, 40 years from now, you will still remember this date. It is the date you and Gabriel were suppose to have together. You won't forget it. Ever.

    ReplyDelete