I normally don't blog about other blogs because this is such a tight-knit community and sooner or later we stumble upon everyone else's blogs. I like that!
I take comfort in finding other babyloss mamas and sharing our stories and experiences with one another. I appreciate that we live in the year 2013 and our losses took place at a time when it's not only possible to talk openly about our babies, but it's easy and feels safe. I can come here any time, day or night, and write about anything I want and know that others will read it. When I feel alone, I can browse hundreds of blogs and websites and connect with others who share my feelings of grief and despair... others who understand.
Recently, I met Gale who shared her amazing blog, Fittsie's Angels, with me. What makes her blog unique (and so interesting) is that even though she just began blogging last year, she has been grieving for the past 37 years. Her losses occurred before I was born, before the Internet, before Blogger, before anyone spoke about babyloss. Gale suffered the loss of two babies during a time when grieving openly and publicly about stillbirth was not acceptable. All of the amazing organizations and ministries that exist today were not there to help her. All of the support and compassion we receive each day from one another did not exist for her. It did not exist for anyone. Hundreds of thousands of women and families were left alone to grieve silently.
They had to find a road to peace
all
by
themselves.
For me, that seems unimaginable. Actually, impossible.
It saddens me deeply, but I am also so grateful to these past generations, for the mistakes that were made are slowly being corrected today, so that we don't have to suffer alone and silently. I know that even today, babyloss is somewhat of a social taboo, but great steps have been taken. And we owe so much to those who walked this path before us. Those whose silent grief was studied and observed and over time was deemed the wrong way. Now, we know that things like holding your stillborn baby, making tangible memories, taking pictures, speaking their names, having a funeral, honoring their memories, going to support groups... are essential to healing.
So many women and so many families were left feeling ashamed or abandoned. They were told by medical professionals to never speak of their babies. That it would be best for them to forget and move on. There are countless babyloss mamas out there who have no pictures of their children. They have no tangible keepsakes. They were not allowed to hold their babies. They lived during a time when doctors truly did believe that photos, keepsakes and bonding were detrimental to healing.
My great-grandmother lost two sons. My grandmother lost her son and daughter. My mother lost her daughter. I lost my son. Generations of woman after woman who lost their children, but I am the first who can say so out loud. I am the first to receive help and comfort outside the walls of my home.
I really find it so inspiring that after so many years, some babyloss mamas are finally speaking up. I think it's incredible that Gale has found the courage to write about her two precious children, after decades of being told that she never could. She is proof that nobody ever gets over the loss of their babies and that speaking about them is a vital part of healing.
Her generation has made way for so many improvements.
I hope that ours can do the same.
I am so sad for all the women who had to go through all of this, alone. My grandma lost a baby and none of her children knew about it until they were adults, and it is something that nobody talks about even now. I can't imagine going through my loss all alone. The support I get from my family and other's who have gone through this is the only thing that has gotten me through this difficult time. Thank you for sharing this. I am glad to start reading her blog.
ReplyDeleteI just spent some time reading her blog. She is very brave, thank you for sharing her blog!
ReplyDeleteYour words were so deeply touching to me. I am so filled with emotions right now. I just want to scream to the top of my lungs out loud, " Hey, look everybody! Somebody wrote about how they care about me and my two precious babies! SEE!!! They COUNTED THEN and they STILL DO TODAY!!!" Oh my gosh! It felt so good to write that down!!!
ReplyDeleteTHANK YOU CATHERINE! THANK YOU TO THOSE WHO LOOKED AT MY BLOG! THANK YOUTASHA AND TESHA FOR COMMENTING!!!! YOU MADE THIS 62 YEAR OLD MAMA AND GRAMMY HAPPY AND THANKFUL TODAY!
GOD BLESS YOU ALL!!!! Gale Fitts
I just found your blog through Lisa's blog hop.
ReplyDeleteIt is amazing that women had to experience loss in such utter isolation in previouos decades (although we all know how lonely and isolating the journey is anyway). My aunt lost her first son at birth, and never even got a chance to see him. I knew about him growing up, but no one has ever treated him as a member of the family. Since losing my own son in 2010, I have often thought about my baby cousin Paul, and my tears for him, and the way he was hidden away, mingle with those for my son.
Catherine-Thank you for sharing Gale's blog. I can't imagine how hard it must have been for women of generations past to be told to pretend it didn't happen. I am so lonley in my loss in 2013 let alone 20, 30, 40+ years agao. Gale, I am glad that after all these years you have been able to find a community and a place where you can talk about your babies.
ReplyDeleteBig hugs
Emma
Thank you for posting this. I will be posting my grandmother's story about her stillbirth in a few weeks. She is currently writing it and still has a hard time dealing with the pain. Thank you for introducing me to this new blog. If you want to check out my grandma's story in a few weeks it will be at http://www.stillbornandstillbreathing.com/. I am glad I found your blog.
ReplyDelete