Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Happy Beginnings

I really truly believed with all my being that this pregnancy would have a happy ending. I know it sounds crazy, but I felt very little fear and apprehension during this last pregnancy with Baby #2. It's hard to explain. I felt certain in my heart that this baby was the one. The one who would survive. The one who would be born pink and screaming. The one who I could hold in my arms and never let go. I just couldn't help feeling like she was meant to be.

After waiting so long just to get pregnant, I was so happy and excited (and a little bit shocked) that I don't think worry had space to settle in. Part of me was concerned early on, but once I saw the baby's beautiful strong heartbeat, joy completely replaced all fear. I really wanted to enjoy this pregnancy and embrace it as a celebration of new life. This baby didn't deserve to be part of my grief. I didn't want her to live in the shadow of loss. I wanted to look forward to her birth, not fear that I might lose her too.

But just a couple of weeks after first seeing my tiny seedling, an ultrasound revealed she was gone. Another ultrasound confirmed it and a week later, my body finally let her go.

No matter what happens, this baby will always be a memory of joy in my heart. I will forever associate her with happiness, hope and pure love. She was a miracle from the beginning and even though I'll never understand why she died, I am so very grateful for the time we had together here on earth. And I'm glad that I let myself feel joy instead of fear and love instead of grief. We may have only had ten weeks together. But they were the most amazing ten weeks. And they were special.

So, no happy ending after all.

But the happiest of all beginnings.

4 comments:

  1. Oh Catherine I am so sorry to read this. I've been really behind on reading blogs, so when I was just perusing I came across your more recent post. I feel so incredibly insensitive now about my comment on instagram earlier. I didn't even know you were pregnant. Keeping you and your family in my thoughts and remembering Poppy and Gabriel with you. I am always here ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Catherine, I am so very sorry for your loss of your beautiful Poppy <3 It is amazing the love and bonding that happen in the first 10-12 weeks. I am forever grateful for the 10 weeks I got with Hope and the 12 weeks I got with Jason. I will make Poppy a Christmas Bow to hang on my angel tree with Gabriels Bow. You're in my thoughts and prayers ((Hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Im so Sorry. I wish there were words to help you heal. Know that I am praying for you.

    All My Love

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Catherine, it breaks my heart to read this news. I am so truly sorry for the loss of your sweet Poppy. I know that nothing can make it easier right now, but please know that you and your babies are in my thoughts. They are so loved and will be remembered. Sending you warmth and love.

    ReplyDelete