Friday, August 30, 2013

The Change

I had an unexpected epiphany the other day. I don't know why I never realized it before, but somehow over the course of the past 13 months, I lost my BLM rookie status. I'm no longer the newly bereaved mama who lost her baby a couple months ago or the person who cries uncontrollably everyday, crippled by grief. I'm no longer the newcomer in an unfamiliar land, too frightened to move forward, too lost to find my way.

Lately, I've noticed a lot of new babyloss blogs and ministries have been created and it seems like the internet is full of heartbreaking stories of recent losses. Reading these stories makes my loss feel so distant, like it occurred ages ago. I've become so used to seeing 2011 and 2012 loss dates that I'm slightly taken aback whenever I see a 2013 loss date. I guess I just naturally associate babyloss with the year 2012 because that's the year when my loss occurred. Because of this, I never really gave much thought to the fact that 2013 would sadly be for many, what 2012 was for me.

This shift is a change I never thought much about. I know that sadly, not a day goes by where babies are not lost. I'm aware that pregnancy and infant loss is something that occurs every minute of everyday. I guess I just didn't realize how much time has an effect on where we reside in the babyloss community. I'm finding it difficult to describe what this change is like. It feels a little bit like returning to high school as a sophomore and watching the new freshmen class curiously wander the hallways where I've already roamed for an entire year. Seeing them makes me realize how far I've come in a year, but it also reminds me of what I was like when I first got here.

Honestly, there are days when it's just too painful to think about the past. To allow myself to reflect on the days following Gabriel's death when I cried so much that my face physically hurt. It's difficult to think about how depressed I once felt, how confused I once was, how weak and scared I used to be. But knowing that I survived and seeing how far I've come gives me hope for the future and wisdom to help others.

Even though I will always be grateful for the strength that I gained and the lessons that I learned when I was a timid newcomer in this strange new land, I feel so blessed to have come so far, to be able to leave part of the pain in the past, to lead where I once followed and to look back and see where once I was too fearful to take one step, I have now taken thousands. Where once I walked around aimlessly, I have now found a purpose in this journey and a reason to keep going.

3 comments:

  1. I wish I could hug you. I hope to be where you are one day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So well spoken! It is a blessing to move forward in our journeys... I am so glad we have walked some of our journeys together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've felt like this too, and I like that you explained those of us who lost babies in 2012 as being Sophomores now. It's a different road, but still one full of grief!

    ReplyDelete