Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Sleeploss After Babyloss

Last Friday I went to see my doctor to follow up on results for a home sleep study that I did. My doctor suspected that I might have sleep apnea, but it turns out that I am just a "very disturbed" sleeper. Even though I laid in bed for a little over 8 hours, I only slept for 4 1/2 hours, which means that I spend almost half of the night either awakening from sleep or not sleeping at all. Basically, I'm suffering from severe sleep deprivation.

It doesn't appear that I have any breathing problems that are causing me to wake up during the night. It's possible that I do have another medical issue such as Restless Leg Syndrome that's repeatedly waking me up. But my doctor believes that the reason is probably psychological. She thinks that I may have suppressed anxiety caused by constantly holding in my emotions, especially those related to losing Gabriel and trying to get pregnant again after a loss. She said that people who have a positive disposition (like I do) tend to (unknowingly) keep negative thoughts and feelings inside where they're basically left to wreak havoc on our subconscious. (Awesome, right?)

In order to cure my sleep disorder, she's recommended a moderate dose of melatonin and 15 minutes of yoga before bedtime in order to relax my body. She also recommended that I stop spending so much time online submersed in the babyloss and infertility world, as constant exposure could be repeatedly triggering unhealthy subconscious anxiety (even if it doesn't feel that way at the time).

Lastly she's recommended that I become more emotionally open because bottling up or suppressing feelings of pain, suffering, grief or frustration can lead to anxiety which in turn leads to a myriad of other health problems such as sleep loss, hormonal imbalances, even infertility. And because that anxiety is not being let out in a healthy way during the day, it often presents itself at night through unconscious means like bad dreams or disturbed sleep.

Even though at first I was pretty surprised by the results of the sleep study and even more surprised by my doctor's recommendations, it's actually starting to make a lot of sense. Some days I do feel overwhelmed or I get a surge of anger or frustration or sorrow and I don't know where to channel it properly so I just keep it inside. It doesn't really appear to affect me but over the course of time I guess it has and in a pretty detrimental way.

I feel really lucky to have a doctor who doesn't automatically write a prescription to mask a symptom, but instead tries to figure out what is the underlying cause. She's actually the first doctor I've gone to whose even taken an interest in my sleep and cared enough to test me for sleep apnea. I'm really glad she suggested some natural remedies and that she carefully considered my medical background before making her recommendations.

With that said, I've been taking my nightly dose of melatonin and doing my 15 minute yoga routine for the past few nights. I'm also doing 5-10 minutes of meditation each night to induce calm and relaxation. And of course, I'm dwindling down the amount of time I spend doing research online and reading babyloss-related websites and blogs. The combination of everything seems to be helping. Even though I still find myself waking up in the middle of the night, I don't feel like I'm waking up as often as before. Also, I feel noticeably more rested when I wake up and slightly less fatigued in the late afternoon. Hopefully I'll continue to make progress over the next few weeks as I learn how to better manage my subconscious nightly anxiety.

If anybody has any suggestions for getting better sleep or reducing anxiety, I'd really love to hear them! 

5 comments:

  1. I definitely experienced this too--The sleep loss thing--after losing Luke.

    And I did find that honestly, taking a step back from the online research/blog/loss world has helped with the anxiety a lot. My therapist even told me NOT to read any books right now, because generally...all this will do is keep negative thoughts and things that are just...one in a million...going through my head.

    And it's working. I'm feeling better. I haven't completely deserted, obviously, but taking a step back and trying to immerse myself into real, normal life has really helped me feel like what happened to me WAS crazy, and shouldn't have happened, and probably won't happen again. And I think my brain is finally accepting that a little bit more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post has really resonated with me Catherine. I think this is my sleep issues entirely!

    Taking a step back is something I know I also need to do, but I am honestly finding that hard. I think I need to try and bring in some other healthy positive focuses and try to give myself a break from the immersement in the baby loss world. Very hard though... I find the real, 'normal' world a stressful place to be.

    I hope that your sleep continues to improve.

    Clara x

    (your doctor sounds fab by the way!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to say I suffered from sever sleeplessness for about six months after Jonathan was born. Only cured my Ambian. I stopped taking the Ambian when I became pregnant it was not that difficult to stop taking although I firmly believe if you can mange without then by all means do, I could not. Recently my sleep issues have returned in a small way with anxiety over pregnancy I am coping by taking nightly walks to think pray and sing. Also reading the Bible right before bed. I do think that limiting computer time is helpful I will not allow myself to go on the computer past a certain hour because it became a comfort to me on sleepless nights in the past. The babyloss community is wonderful and valuable but there comes a point when you must pull back and evaluate your own heart. I think reading everyone else stories can cause a lot of feeling to become trapped inside. Saying a prayer you are sleeping better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry things are so hard right now.
    I hope things get better, and I hope you conceive your rainbow soon, that stress is so hard.
    For me, imagery is helpful. YouTube has a lot, finding something like waves or rain to help guide me into a calmer state of mind. When I'm anxious, meditation is hard. Focusing on something calmin helps me escape my own anxious thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I have this same problem. I don't get on the computer after dinner and try to relax.

    ReplyDelete