Thursday, May 2, 2013

Parenting For Dummies

Last night, my husband pointed out this news story to me. 

A five year old boy accidentally shot and killed his two year old sister with a "toy" rifle that his parents bought him for his birthday. 

These types of stories have always angered me, but ever since Gabriel died, I have this urge to get in my car, drive to the home of these parents and strangle them with my bare hands. 

This is why some days, I have a difficult time believing in God and question who or what would allow these people to keep their babies when so many others have to lose theirs. I feel like I'm the punch line of some cruel cosmic joke. 

Universe: Why did the morons with no common sense get to keep their babies and you didn't? 
Me: I don't know. I give up.
Universe: Because you would have been a responsible and caring mother and not buy your five year old a gun. Haha, get it? 

Needless to say, I would never give my child a gun. And I would never leave my two small children alone in a room with a weapon. I'm not claiming to be the world's greatest mother, but at least I have enough common sense to not buy my five year old a weapon. (Aren't they barely able to play with legos at this age because of the choking hazard?)

It makes me so mad that there are people out there who are so completely oblivious to how lucky they are to have healthy living children, that they're willing to put their children in harm's way. 

(These people need to be sterilized. I'm sorry, but they do!)

It is infuriating that this mother is not facing criminal charges related to the death of her daughter. I know it was an accident and I know losing her daughter is the worst punishment possible. But shouldn't it be illegal to leave your five year old and two year old alone with a gun? It's just so grossly negligent and if you're buying a toy rifle for your son, clearly you don't have the greatest judgement to begin with.

I'm so sad that another innocent child has died. And I'm really concerned for the five year old boy who at such an innocent age has to come to terms with the fact that he killed his younger sister. 

In this article, you can see photos of the little girl, Caroline and you can also read this little gem of a quote by her grandmother:

"It was God's will. It was her time to go I guess?" 

WTF? Clearly, stupidity is genetic. 

Lastly, I'd just like to say that I'm appalled by this quote


"I've been the county coroner for 15 years and I think this is the first time I've had a case like this," White said. "I'm hoping that parents will realize that if you have kids, you need to put the guns out of harm's way."

Seriously, who doesn't know this already?! Shouldn't that go without saying?! I know there's no parenting handbook out there, but isn't keeping guns away from small children kind of common sense?! Why do we need other people to tell us to keep deadly weapons away from our kids?! 

Now for a quick lesson for stupid, unfit parents everywhere: Don't leave your small children alone with weapons that could potentially harm them or others. Guns and toddlers do not belong together. How you don't already know this... I'll never understand.


3 comments:

  1. My jaw is on the floor. This literally almost makes tears of rage spring to my eyes. And, what kind of a grandmother would say such a thing?!? Those poor children almost didn't stand a chance. It's all so horribly, wildly random with people like that having TWO children to neglect, and some of us, with so much love to give, struggling for just one...it's hard NOT to feel like the butt of a cruel joke sometimes. Nauseating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been thinking of a similar post - for the mother who drowned her two children (in Australia I think?) and then proceeded to say on the news that she hasn't ruled out having more children in future.

    Why wasn't this woman sterilized? Because it's against her rights. Well who the heck is looking after the rights of her dead and as yet unborn children?

    ReplyDelete